Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Visual Disturbance

I was so excited when we got up this morning (which is odd enough since we usually wake up in the evening being on night shift and all). I was going to get new glasses! *YAYS* It has been about >5< years since my last exam and my glasses were so kaput that I've had a wire holding one side together for the last year since the stripping in the screw's hole wore out. I was indeed a bit (A LOT) embarrassed as I showed my old frames to the gal who helped us . (Us since Tyler helped me as I can't see well enough without visual aid to actually see what I was trying on).

We picked out something more stylish which will somewhat match our wedding bands. I can hardly wait until we can pick them up next week! Also, the gal who helped us was so sweet that she managed to put some specially weird screw into my decrepit pair of frames which is quite an improvement until then.

Dr. Deal and staff were so awesome because the dilation solution NEVER stung and I didn't have to do that annoying puff test at all (they had a different test for glaucoma). My eyes were feeling so weird from the numbing agent put in them before they were dilated. It made watching the explanations and various adds (Nike makes glasses now!!!!) on their television after my exam more interesting than usual.

The part where we were explained how light comes through the lens of the eye to hit the optical nerve which sends the information to our brain for translation started some thought processes. Just think about how much most of us know about the people we love and the outside world from what we see. How we take in so much of our life experiences throught sight, which we so easily take for granted.

It has me in awe to think that so much of my comprehension relies on a little bitty nerve doing it's job properly. It's possible to live without vision. Sure, cause those in the medical profession say that when it comes down to it you could live without tonsils, an appendix, a gall bladder, part of a liver, a kidney, part of a lung, even a (small) part of the heart after a heart attack.... and we do know that blind people can function in society. But when you think about it, there are SO many ways for something to not work right, for things to go wrong, of all the conditions, illnesses, ailments.....it could be a bit depressing. And then the gift of sight, which most of us have to varying degrees, relies on the function of such a small nerve that could otherwise seem so insignificant? And even more amazing is how our bodies even as they break down are able to compensate to keep us functioning up to a certain extent. What an intricately designed work is the human body and how amazing a creator is the God who constructed it. And no matter how insignificant one can feel, you can still be a part of the body of Christ, a part of God's family, and to Him you are beloved and anything BUT insignificant. After all, He thought you were worth dying for. ; )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool, cant wait to see your new glasses. It is amazing how we are wonderfully and intricately made.
Miss you and HEY......I'm proud of you.

Angela said...

I certainly hope you're planning to post a picture when you get the new glasses in!

Heather said...

I love our "Dazedoodling" pic!!! Draw me one with my title!!! You are such a great artist!!!